Richmond Sanitary Service was founded in 1917, by brothers Gioni and Giuseppe Barbieri and three friends. Each of the “partners” had their own horse and wagon and collection route. They separated rags, metals and rubber for recycling and did their own bill collecting. Their business grew slowly until the U.S. entered World War II and Kaiser Shipyards in Richmond spawned a population explosion from less than 20,000 to 130,000 in just a few months.
Following WWII, RSS had nine partners that built a comprehensive network of waste management services to meet the needs of West County communities, that included waste collection, land fill, recycling and composting facilities, a power plant fueled by methane gas from the West Contra Costa Landfill and began development of a facility to transfer residual waste to active landfills after closure of the local landfill.
In mid 2001, the RSS family of companies was acquired by Republic Services. Although the RSS organizational structure has been redefined, it maintains an historic commitment to service excellence, active participation in business and civic affairs and generous support of local youth activities. Our new century-old local presence continues to be an integral, positive element in the fabric of West County communities.